I cook this recipe, or variations of it, every Sunday in order to set myself up with a swift, delicious, healthy, hot, gluten free breakfast option. For me, it’s because I am up to be at work by 6am or earlier, however I’m sure every busy person could use some extra time and a clever plan to start the each weekday on the front foot.
Thinly sliced or diced: 1 large tomato / 1 red onion/ 6 large mushrooms/ 1 red capsicum
Coarsely Grated: 1 large zucchini
Optional Extra: ham or bacon pieces or finely chopped leftover meat
Plus: Olive oil / Moroccan spice or mixed herbs/ 10 eggs
- Prepare all vegetables.
- Heat a large fry pan on high.
- Add a splash of olive oil and coat all of the pan’s surface.
- Add all vegetables (and meat if chosen).
- Sprinkle Moroccan spice according to taste (this already contains salt).
- If mixed herbs are preferred, then also add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking of all.
- Whilst cooking, crack eggs into a large bowl to ensure easy stirring without spills
- Mix eggs. I use a hand whisker to make life easy for myself.
- When vegetables are cooked through and the juices are minimal, it is time to add the egg mixture
- Add the eggs over the vegetable mixture.
- Stir through the vegetables so all are thoroughly combined.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Stir occasionally or flip portions to ensure even cooking.
- Once cooked through, serve into 5 – 6 even portioned bowls or containers.
- Once cooled, place into the fridge.
- At the time of eating, 1 minute or so should be ample to heat your omelette in the microwave.
By Veena Gollop
Fitness Inside Out Licensee